Bacon Nation

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Dear Mr. Angry,

If you look at the comments section of "Midterm Madness", you'll notice that someone claiming to be Bill Stegmeier (the amendment's chief sponsor) has offered a "clarification" on the language of Amendment E. In addition to calling me a "boy", and thus demonstrating his implicitly entitled assumptions about the workings of the world, he asks whether I have any questions. And the answer is, nope. Because, if you look at Mr. Stegmeier's comment, and at my post, you will notice that he does not address any of the concerns about Amendment E that I raised, including the troubling possibilities raised by the section of the amendment that I quoted at length. You would think that someone seeking to operate in the field of public opinion would have a better answer to the complaint that the language of his amendment, in addition to violating the basic principle of judicial autonomy, sets up an unfair trial system to review the results of that violation. But there you have it. Given that he doesn't address any of my complaints, or any of the serious reservations of those who oppose Amendment E (which includes the ENTIRETY of both houses of the South Dakota legislature), I don't see anything that prompts me to ask any questions to which I don't already have the answers.

But hey, thanks for reading!

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's unclear to me is how one is supposed to legislate away "missunderstanding [sic], bias, preferential coniderations, discriminatory considerations, greed, malice, and retribution." This is a Republican talking? I thought Republicans had the whole "common sense" thing going for them? A world without greed? Umm, yeah, Lennon has left the building. Isn't misunderstanding and bias the nature of, oh, I don't know, being human? A judge doesn't try to rid the world of these things -- thank god -- but figure out if someone has gone a little nutty in forcing their particularly unpopular bias (unpopular for a reason) on your garden variety bias. The moral: Be afraid of Republicans with "noble values," be very afraid.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows if it really was Bill Stegmeier. It's not very difficult to post to a blog as someone else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home