Bacon Nation

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Comeback Bitch

Reader K writes in to insist that I post, given that I must have things to say. I can only assume she refers to certain recent political events -- namely, the resurrection of Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire.

Well, of course, I have rather a lot to say about that, most of it having to do with the moronic nature of a political system that would declare a winner after one primary, and a media that goes along with this nonsense. I mean, if you'd seen Chris Matthews' show on voting day in NH, you'd have about puked. It was a non-stop hagiography of Obama, all about the "something amazing" that was happening around his campaign, and a relentless litany of reasons that Hillary should just give up and go home. He was slobbering, literally. I felt a desperate desire to register to vote in New Hampshire, to vote for Hillary, and then to shove a ballot box up Matthews' ass.

Reader H and I have a long-standing dialogue of mutual agreement on the subject of Hillary Clinton's unacceptability as a presidential candidate. The reasons range from her general centrism, to the public's preposterous perception of her as the most liberal of the candidates, to the substantial number of people who won't vote for her no matter what, to the vast right wing conspiracy that will ensure a lively wingnut turnout in an otherwise lackluster year. Lately, though, I've sort of kind of let these arguments slide. And I will confess that by New Hampshire I was secretly totally rooting for her.

Since this has now come out, I suppose I'd better make a case for it.

1.) It's hard for me to see at this point that Obama is substantively more liberal than Hillary, except on foreign policy. And while she's more hawkish than he, or me, I also think she's more likely to get me some health insurance (especially given that she understands mandates, which Obama, very worryingly, does not). I want me some health insurance. This is selfish of me. I don't care.

2.) I am on record with my brilliant analysis of the fact that while the right has had a 15 year head start pasting Hillary, this is no reason to think that they will not make excellent use of a full year in which to do the same to Obama. Middle name Hussein indeed.

3.) While Hillary's candidacy is risky, I think there are serious worries about Obama's candidacy that need to be acknowledged. At this point, his whole claim is the ability to inspire and unite. But, um, what if that whole magical movement, "something amazing is happening here!" effect, just doesn't happen in the campaign? What's he got then? I have to say, I don't think it should go overlooked that the guy is consistently really terrible in debates. This is the one place where Americans experience candidates, other than advertisements and soundbites. Hillary's pretty damn good. Obama is....stiff. Granted, against McCain he'd probably come through ok. But surely Hillary can handle that face-off, too?

Given all of the above, I am faced with a problem. I am presented with the first serious woman candidate for the presidency. She's from my party. She's got a decent shot. And I'm going to be churlish and vote for someone else -- someone whose politics don't thrill me, whose "let's all just get together and build coalitions for change" platform strikes me as hopelessly naive, and whose electability strikes me as by no means secure -- just because she doesn't perfectly mirror my politics (John Edwards is closer to that), and is hated by such luminaries as Rush Limbaugh? How, exactly, do I stand in a voting booth and do that?

But even if you don't like Hillary, it seems clear that her continued presence in the race is a good thing. After Iowa, I was deeply upset that the candidacy of the first serious woman contender for the presidency was likely to end after two primaries. What kind of message is that? I mostly just want the race to keep going. For once, votes will count in primaries from coast to coast! More, please! I get the impression that some New Hampshirites felt the same. (Leaving aside the absurdity of the fact that many independents, thinking Obama had it in the bag, trotted over to the Republican side to vote for McCain. What kind of crazy person would feel that his interests were equally represented by McCain and Obama? Like their politics have any similarities? It may be time to outlaw independence on the grounds of sheer intellectual incoherence. God, how I wish we could outlaw things on those grounds....)

I'm not declaring for Hillary. But I am retracting my years of declaring against Hillary. And if she can persuade me.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home